Thursday, October 8, 2020

I Was a Teenage Serial Killer



Director - Sarah Jacobson (Mary Jane's Not a Virgin Anymore)
Starring - Kristen Bree Calabrese (Gone for a Week), Phil Calabrese, and Corey
Release Date - 1993
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "See the horror of righteous dismemberment! Feel the triumph when sexist pigs are wasted! Hear the screams of terror! Join Mary, America's favorite female serial killer, who kills off dumb men."
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     I know most of the horror fans out there will be bitching and moaning that I reviewed a non-horror movie during the month of October but my goal with Mary Jane's Not a Virgin Anymore was to check it out so I could move on to the second film in the set which is Jacobson's 1993 horror short I Was a Teenage Serial Killer.  I was so impressed by MJNaVA and I couldn't wait to dive into this horror short from Jacobson.  
     The film follows Mary (Calabrese) who is your typical woman until she discovers that men are pigs.  As she roams the streets she finds different shitty men to kill ranging from guys she's sleeping with who take their condoms off, men who catcall, and serial killers who kill men and women.
     I wasn't expecting a film as fun and enthralling as Jacobson's feature film but this one was a solid short that did enough to hold my attention.  I enjoyed it enough and I could see myself tossing both films in for something to watch when I can't make my mind up.  It was entertaining but wasn't without it's own flaws.  The acting in this one is indie quality.  The cast really dedicates themselves to their roles but inexperience rears it's ugly head.  I like the characters and Calabrese's portrayal of a feminist serial killer but some of the scenes are a little on the goofy side.  The story for this one is very effective as a short but it's not without a few unintentional laughs.  It fills the time wisely and works.  Finally, the film has a few kills with some blood.  The effects are minimal but have that no budget charm that most indie horror fans can appreciate.  They are nothing special and rather forgettable but they work for the film.  Overall, I Was a Teenage Serial Killer is a fun no budget experience.  Most fans of horror and underground will appreciate the simplicity of the film.  It's flawed but hits the right spot.  

No comments:

Post a Comment