Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Unfriended



Director - Levan Gabriadze (Rezo, Yolki 2)
Starring - Heather Sossaman (NCIS, Buffy the Vampire Slayer), Matthew Bohrer (Lucifer, Hipster Holocaust), and Courtney Halverson (True Detective, Ghost Whisperer)
Release Date - 2014
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "This April, revenge comes online"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     When I was sent the press release for this set I was curious about checking out a few of the films listed.  There was only one film I wasn't looking forward to checking out but the others were movies I had been curious about for some time.  One of those movies was the 2014 new age found footage flick Unfriended.  The movie spawned a sequel and several more copy cat films trying to appeal to the young movie goers.  It looked goofy but I was excited to check it out.  Sadly, it was even goofier than I originally thought and one of the worst movies I had seen in a long time.  
     The film follows a group of high schoolers one year after one of their own killed herself after an embarrassing video went live.  Now, on the anniversary of her suicide someone has joined in on their group video call under her name.  One by one they are taken out of the call and eventually die.
    I was a little curious about this one but after actually seeing it now I have to say that it is one of the worst movie experiences I've sit through for sometime now.  The movie was cheap, lazy, and lacked almost every aspect that I hold dear about the horror genre.  I would be open to the sequel to this one but if I was ever tasked with watching this movie again or kicking my favorite child you better believe I'm punting my 2 year old across the living room.  The acting in this one is like nails on a chalk board.  Watching a group of teenagers try to impress each other on a video call is cringy to say the least but then watching those same teenagers try to act scared on a video call was extremely goofy.  The found footage inspired approach really made me want to turn it off in terms of the acting.  It was very unnatural.  The story for this one is super simple but the lack of content with this super simple story made it a pain to finish.  Watching people panic on webcam was a horrible experience.  Honestly, I liked what the story wanted to do but the execution was all wrong.  Finally, the film's only redeemable moments is the death scenes.  They were unintentionally funny but they did entertain.  The deaths are rather quick but I liked the way they looked.  Overall, Unfriended is a huge waste of time and I would almost bet that it's the low point of this set.  Skip it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment