Wednesday, October 7, 2020

The Visit




Director - M. Night Shyamalan (Split, Glass)
Starring - Olivia DeJonge (Better Watch Out, The Sisterhood of Night), Ed Oxenbould (Better Watch Out, Paper Planes), and Deanna Dunagan (The Exorcist, Running Scared)
Release Date - 2015
Genre - Horror
Tagline - "No one loves you like your grandparents"
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     I never realized it until now but I guess I am a fan of controversial filmmaker M. Night Shyamalan.  I remember when I was younger and his films The Sixth Sense, The Village, and Signs was released.  I was quick to grab all them for my collection but I never considered myself a fan.  However, after finally watching his 2015 horror hit The Visit I finally realize that I do enjoy his body of work.  I'm glad I finally took the time to check it out because I really enjoyed it.
     The film follows siblings Becca (DeJonge) and Tyler (Oxenbould) who travel to the country alone to spend time with their grandparents who they had never met.  Their mother fell in love with a substitute teacher and left to be with him which caused some friction between her and her parents.  Now, some years later, they want to finally see and meet their grandchildren.  The trip starts out innocently enough but over time they realize that something is wrong with their grandparents.
     The Visit was an entertaining film but there was some aspects that I could have lived without.  The movie itself is one, like many of Shyamalan's that I can see myself visiting several times over the next few years even though the twist has been revealed.  The acting in this one is not that impressive.  In fact, I had a hard time like the cast and the characters.  When their performances wasn't dragging the scenes down you find yourself hating the characters because of their personalities.  The rapping pre-teen was cringy and one of the worst parts of the movie.  Why couldn't he be a kid obsessed with mixed martial arts or Pokémon?  Why did he need to be obnoxious and a rapper?  I just felt like the characters were written to be annoying on purpose which only adds even more fuel to the unenthused acting.  The story for this one is fucking creepy as hell but leaves me with so many questions.  The thought of kids going to spend the weekend with their grandparents only to have them replaced by insane mental patients is fucking terrifying for any parent.  However, who sends their kids to their estranged grandparents that you haven't seen in a decade alone?  The story can be effective but it's a double edged sword.  Finally, this is not a bloody horror film that most of us crave.  The film is dependent on the atmosphere and story to get the horror across to the viewer.  Overall, The Visit is not a genre defining film but it is a solid enough movie experience.  I would recommend checking it out if you are looking for a popcorn horror flick.  

No comments:

Post a Comment