Thursday, October 8, 2020

Mary Jane's Not a Virgin Anymore


Director - Sarah Jacobson  (I Was A Teenage Serial Killer)
Starring - Lisa Gerstein (Bad Boy, Boiler Room), Chris Enright (Pillow Talk, Metalman), and Greg Cruikshank (Whatever Happened to Susan Jane, A Day in the Life of a Death)
Release Date - 1996
Genre - Drama/Romance
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection)

Rating (out of 5):

     There is several labels that I enjoy collecting.  Companies like Vinegar Syndrome, Wild Eye, and MVD Rewind Collection are all solid labels that I love adding to my collection.  Monthly I will scramble to get their releases while adding to my collection.  Another label that I love is AGFA, or American Genre Film Archive.  They release some odd and unique films.  Sometime last year I snagged their Films of Sarah Jacobson who passed away young from cancer.  I had heard of her feature length film for sometime so I was excited to see AGFA was giving it the blu treatment.  
     The film follows Mary Jane (Gerstein) who is in her last year of high school.  She has her entire life ahead of her but is fixated on losing her virginity.  After she loses it she discovers that everyone's first time was as horrible as hers and soon hooks up with a co-worker who works with her during the act to satisfy her as well.  After seeing sex can go both ways she finds herself drawn to him but soon loses him in an automobile accident.  
     I had heard other talk about Jacobson and her film over the years in the different movie groups and forums I've been a member of.  Her reputation as the queen of underground filmmaking shows that she was good at what she was doing and I was excited to finally check it out.  I'll be completely honest here.  I fucking loved MJNAVA.  This unusual film reminded me so much of the early works of John Waters meets David Lynch.  It was an absolutely amazing film and one I would argue is an essential piece of cinema.  The acting in this one works for the film but a lot of the cast had a lot to learn.  The characters are all real and genuine.  I felt like I knew everyone in this film when it was over with.  They reminded me so much of the people in my life when I was growing up.  I loved the cast of characters.  The story for this one is pretty simple but much like the early works of Waters we get drawn in with the characters and how they interact with each other.  The film is not as crude as films like Pink Flamingos but it does have adult dialogue similar to the stuff you could find on MTV during the mid-90s.  The film is dialogue heavy but I did not find myself becoming bored at all.  I actually really enjoyed the character interactions.  Finally, this is not a bloody flick.  In fact, it is the furthest from a bloody film you could find.  Overall, Mary Jane's Not a Virgin Anymore is an amazing film from a woman that was taken way too soon.  I absolutely loved it and I'm heartbroken thinking about what she could have accomplished if she wasn't taken away when she was.  This movie is a must see!

No comments:

Post a Comment