Saturday, October 3, 2020

The Owners




Director - Julius Berg (The Crimson Rivers, Falco)
Starring - Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones, The New Mutants), Sylvester McCoy (Doctor Who, The Hobbit: The Unexpected Journey), and Rita Tushingham (In the Flesh, Resurrected)
Release Date - 2020
Genre - Horror
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) (Screener)

Rating (out of 5):

     We are just a few days into October and I'm enjoying myself.  I can't stop watching horror movies and writing reviews for them.  Bring on the spoopy!  Anyway, a few days ago I was sent over the new horror flick The Owners from RLJE.  The movie looked interesting and I was even more curious about it once I saw that Sylvester McCoy was in it.  The movie, from my understanding, is an adaptation of a French graphic novel.  I want to thank RLJE for sending this one over.  It was predictable but a fun one to watching during this spooky season!
     The film follows a group of petty thieves that think they have an easy score when they are told that a doctor and his wife have a safe in their home full of cash.  They wait for the two to leave and break into the home but soon find the owners returning unexpectedly.  They panic and tie them down but soon begin fighting among themselves which gives the owners a chance to get the upper hand.
     The Owners is one of the many films I get in that I know nothing about.  I'm all about binging as many horror movies and I can this month and with this one just about to hit store shelves I decided I would work it into my schedule.  I enjoyed it but I don't see myself throwing this one in again.  The acting in this one is nothing special but it works for the film.  I'm unfamiliar with Maisie Williams but I wasn't impressed with her performance here.  Her character is very bland and her performance matches that.  The supporting cast is the same.  The characters don't stand out and they just blend into the scene.  McCoy does deliver a few fun moments but for the most part his character just rides the pine for most of the film.  The story for this one is pretty generic and the twist is seen from a mile away.  This is Walmart horror at it's finest.  What we get for a story is not bad but it's unoriginal and very predictable.  The film has smooth pacing and no unnecessary scenes but does lack originality.  Finally, the film has plenty of blood and a few unexpected kills.  The practical effects are actually very realistic and they look great.  Sadly, there is one two or so instances of this.  Overall, The Owners is a fun watch for once but has no replay value.  Fans of home invasion flicks will find nothing new here but it still works.  Toss it in to your movie watch list for this year if you are looking for something new.  

No comments:

Post a Comment