Friday, October 9, 2020

Stoinky Beach



Director - Chris Seaver (The Weirdsies, Paranormal Investigation Agency)
Starring - Alec Lambert (The VelociPastor, Sexsquatch), Clint Kelly (Evil Night, WNUF Halloween Special), and Josh Suire (Happy Helladays, Ski Wolf)
Release Date - 2013
Genre - Comedy
Format - Bluray (Personal Collection) 

Rating (out of 5):

     I've been a fan of Chris Seaver for several years now.  I started buying his movies from his Warlock Home Video store front about 10 years ago and I never looked back.  Everytime he announces something new I immediately message him trying to get the details.  I may not love all his films but I can't deny how fun they are.  Earlier in the year he released the Stoinky Saga on blu.  I had his DVD release of Stoinky Beach so I needed to grab this one for the additional content.  I reached out to him and quickly snagged a copy.  When it arrived I noticed that one of the films was A Stoinkmare on Halloween Street.  I decided then to hold off until October before I dive into the set.  
     The film follows a young man who was just dumped by his girlfriend.  His friends decide that the best cure for a broken heart is to visit Stoinky Beach where all the babes are ready for some mushroom tips in the sugarwalls.  However, his ex and her friends also decide to go to Stoinky Beach.  The two groups try to score but fails when they are greeted by a visitor from another world who tries to convince the two love birds to get back together becaus the world relies on love.
     Chris Seaver is a filmmaker that is always reinventing himself with different labels and characters.  His Low Budget Pictures created some of his most iconic characters like Teenape and Bonejack.  He then brought out the Warlock mascot with his Warlock Home Video label.  This is hands down my favorite era of Seavers.  I've seen most of the films from this time with the exception of two.  Stoinky Beach and The Dingleberries are the two films I had not seen.  Stoinky looked like a movie that I would really enjoy and I was right.  It was definitely fun and did a great job at brining those 80s teen sex comedies to no budget land.  The acting in this one is fun.  The cast, though their imdb pages are lacking, have been in several films.  They all are having fun and that transfers very well on camera.  The characters are carried over from many of the other Warlock Home Video films and the cast does a great job with them.  The story, though restricted by budget, does a great job at trying to capture that 80s teen sex comdey that many of grew up watching.  It was fun but does drag on in some of the scenes while others struggle to set up the story and the characters.  Seaver is known for his rushed shoots and this is clearly one of the cases.  Finally, if you want blood and gore you will miss out here.  The film is comedy more than anything else.  Overall, Stoinky Beach is a funny and cheap comedy that has that Warlock Home Video charm and that 80s humor.  It is well worth a watch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment